The Bioengineering Institute of California (BIC) has taken to heart the recommendations from UCOP received in conjunction with the five-year renewal. It is becoming increasingly important to engage with Biomedical industry both in California and beyond given the rapid increase in employment of BME students at every degree level.
The Review Committee suggested that the BIC “ramp up industry support including for graduate training and opportunities in terms of internships.” Walter Baxter, Senior Principle Scientist at Medtronic, will serve as the inaugural Chair of the Industry Liaison Committee which is charged with recruiting companies that have a vested interest in advocating the professional training of graduate and undergraduate students. Importantly, they will be invited to participate as sponsors and participants in the annual UC systemwide BME conference, and will pursue a primary focus of soliciting input on emerging areas of need for improved training such as in Data Sciences and Bioinformatics, as well as outreach for industry-academic grant partnerships.
The newly formed Industry Liaison Committee will:
- Serve as a link between the BIC and companies/organizations that have a vested interest in advocating for the professional training of graduate and undergraduate students in Bioengineering.
- Identify emerging areas of need for improved training such as in Data Sciences and Bioinformatics, as well as opportunities for industry-academic grant partnerships.
- Speak with a unified voice about the unique needs of bioengineering industry with regards to faculty research grants, intellectual property, licensing, etc. that spark job creation through startup activity.
- Actively participate in the annual UC systemwide symposia to enrich translational research discussions, identify faculty and student partnership opportunities, and engage with talented and diverse UC students.
Consider Supporting the BIC Symposium!
Sponsor the meeting in August via the sponsorship form link found here:
- Bronze: $2,500
- Silver: $5,000
- Gold: $10,000
- Platinum: $25,000
Sponsors will be highly visible to all attendees including UC students and faculty.
SAVE THE DATE and attend the meeting in August to enrich the exchange of ideas beyond academic experts towards translational research at the clinic and bedside:
- Special focus on the biotech industry and around table to connect biotech/pharma/medtech thought leaders with researchers.
Advertise the meeting within your organization and network:
- Focus on UC alum in your network to introduce the BIC to the greater community.
- Our goal is to register >100 industry attendees.